Oslo Agreements: Impact on Israeli Water Confiscation, Palestinian Water Consumption

ein al_ariq_spring

PNN

AICafe invite you on Tuesday 16 July, 2013, from 7:30 PM, for Oslo agreements: impact on Israeli water confiscation and Palestinian water consumption with Nadi Farraj. 

Water is a human right and a prerequisite for economic, social and cultural development. It played a major role in the Palestinian-Israeli peace process, although the 1995 Interim Agreement failed to define Palestinian water rights, instead leaving them to be negotiated in the permanent status talks. As outlined in the Oslo Accords, Israel retained control over 80% of the potential yield of the West Bank's Mountain Aquifer, leaving Palestinians with just 20%. As a result, Palestinians are forced to buy 52 percent of their water from Israel. These policies and practices have led to a huge disparity in water consumption between Israelis and Palestinians: the average daily per capita water consumption rate for Palestinians is between 50 and 70 litres, compared to around 300 litres in Israel.

What is the impact on Palestinian communities of the Oslo accord's impact on water control? What can Palestinians do in such a situation and what are the future possibilities in negotiations on this highly sensitive issue? These questions and more will be answered in this important evening.

Nadi Farraj is an agriculture expert and consultant with the YMCA - East Jerusalem

The AIC is a joint Palestinian-Israeli activist organization engaged in dissemination of information, political advocacy and grassroots activism. The AICafè is a political and cultural café open on Tuesday and Saturday night from 7pm until 10pm. It is located in the Alternative Information Center in Beit Sahour, close to Suq Sha'ab (follow the sign to Jadal Center ). We have a small library with novels, political books and magazines. We also have a number of films in DVD copies and AIC publications which critically analyze both the Palestinian and Israeli societies as well as the conflict itself.

Read More