94 days of strike: Israel considers moving Al-Akhras to a Palestinian hospital

PNN/ Jerusalem/

Prisoner Maher Al-Akhras (49) continues his open hunger strike for the 94th consecutive day in protest against his administrative detention, amid a serious deterioration in his health.

The media advisor to the Prisoners and Ex-Prisoners’Affairs Authority, Hassan Abed Rabbo, told WAFA news agency that the Israeli Supreme Council will hold a session today to consider the request of the committee lawyers to transfer him to the Makassed Hospital in Jerusalem or the An-Najah National University Hospital in Nablus.

On the health status of the mute prisoner, Abed Rabbo said that the health condition of Al-Akhras is extremely dangerous, and that his continuation of the strike for 94 days until now will leave scars on his vital organs throughout his life.

He added: “The prisoner suffers from severe fatigue and stress, and he begins to feel pain in his heart, in addition to physical pain, and his sense of smell and taste are affected, and he may suffer a sudden setback in one of his vital organs, due to his lack of salts and fluids, and he still refuses to obtain solutions and supports.”

Last Friday, according to Abed Rabbo, the prisoner was unconscious for 3 hours, after the jailers stormed his room in the Israeli “Kaplan” Hospital, and transferred him to another room, stressing that the occupation insists on not removing him from the hospital until one hour, and keeping him in detention and not moving him To hospitals in the West Bank, where the occupation authorities keep it based on a military decision.

He added that there are continuous efforts at the legal and political level, and there is communication with the parliaments of the world, in addition to public pressure in order to save his life.

The activities in support of the prisoner continue, as dozens of demonstrators participated in the vigil called for by the Freedoms Committee emanating from the Supreme Follow-up Committee, yesterday evening, Tuesday, and dozens of political activists participated in front of “Kaplan” Hospital inside the 1948 lands, in a pause of support for the prisoner. Maher Al-Akhras, who has been on hunger strike for 93 days.

The participants in the weekly support stand in front of the Red Cross called for pressure on the occupation government to release the two prisoners Maher al-Akhras and Muhammad al-Zughayer, and to end the case of arbitrary administrative detention.

The participants held the occupation prisons administration, fully responsible for the lives of al-Akhras and his hunger-striking comrades, and for the life of the sick prisoner Kamal Abu Waer.

Al-Akhras was arrested on July 27, 2020, and after his arrest he was transferred to the “Hawara” detention center, where he began his open-ended hunger strike, and was later transferred to “Ofer” prison. He was then transferred to administrative detention for a period of four months, and the court confirmed the arrest warrant later.

His detention continued in “Ofer” prison until his health deteriorated with the passage of time, and the occupation prison administration transferred him to “Ramla Clinic” prison, and he remained there until the beginning of last September until he was transferred to the Israeli “Kaplan” hospital, where he is held until today, with a status Difficult and dangerous health, and he refuses to take subsidies and undergo medical examinations.

On September 23, 2020, the Occupation Supreme Court issued a decision to freeze his administrative detention, and accordingly, the mute prisoner and human rights organizations considered that the freezing order was nothing but a trick and an attempt to circumvent the strike and did not mean an end to his administrative detention.

On October 1, 2020, after his lawyer submitted a new request for his release, the court rejected the decision and kept the decision to freeze his administrative detention.

It is noteworthy that the al-Akhras prisoner is married and father of six children, the youngest of whom is a six-year-old girl. He was arrested by the occupation forces for the first time in 1989 and continued to be arrested at the time for seven months, and the second time in 2004 for two years, then he was re-arrested in 2009, and he remained an administrative detainee. For a period of 16 months, he was arrested again in 2018 and continued for 11 months.

Check Also

Palestinian detainee, Awawda, suspends hunger strike upon reaching deal for his release

Bethlehem/PNN/ Palestinian detainee in Israeli jails, Khalil Awawda, suspended tonight his 172-day hunger strike after …