The Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR) based in Gaza in its weekly report said Israeli violations of international law and international humanitarian law in the oPt continued during the reporting period (27 September – 03 October 2018).
Israeli forces continued to use excessive force against unarmed civilians and peaceful protesters in the Gaza Strip and West Bank.
- 9 Palestinian civilians, including 3 children, were killed; 7 of them, including 2 children, were killed on Friday.
- 307 civilians, including 47 children, 5 women, 4 journalists and a paramedic, were wounded.
- 22 Palestinian civilians, including 3 children and 4 journalists, were wounded in the West Bank
- Israeli forces continued to open fire at the border areas in the Gaza Strip.
- A Palestinian elderly was killed in eastern Maghazi refugee camp.
- Israeli forces conducted 62 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank, and 3 limited incursions into occupied Jerusalem.
- 67 civilians, including 18 children, were arrested in the West Bank.
- 24 of them, including 6 children, were arrested in Jerusalem.
- Israeli authorities continued to create a Jewish majority in occupied East Jerusalem.
- Hundreds of settlers raided al-Aqsa Mosque and attacked the Palestinian civilians and their property.
- Israeli forces continued their settlement activities in the West Bank.
- A barrack built of tin plates was confiscated in Masafer Yata, south of Hebron.
- 5 Shooting incidents were reported against the Palestinian fishing boats in the Gaza Sea, but no casualties were reported.
- Israeli forces turned the West Bank into cantons and continued to impose theillegal closure on the Gaza Strip for the 11th consecutive year.
- Dozens of temporary checkpoints were established in the West Bank and others were re-established to obstruct the movement of Palestinian civilians.
- 4 civilians, including a child, were arrested at the military checkpoints in the West Bank.
Israeli forces continued to use lethal force against Palestinian civilians, who participated in peaceful demonstrations organized within the activities of the “Great March of Return and Breaking the Siege” in the Gaza Strip, which witnessed for the 27th week in a row peaceful demonstrations along the eastern and northern Gaza Strip border area. During the reporting period, the Israeli forces killed 8 Palestinian civilians, including 3 children, and wounded 307 civilians, including 47 children, 5 women, 4 journalists, and a paramedic. Meanwhile, a Palestinian elderly was killed in the central Gaza Strip after Israeli forces opened fire from the eastern borders at the area to the west of the border fence with Israel. In the West Bank, 22 Palestinian civilians, including 3 children and 4 journalists, were wounded; one of those wounded is in serious condition.
In the Gaza Strip, on 28 September 2018, which coincided the 27th Friday of the Return and Breaking the Siege protests, in new use of lethal force, Israeli forces killed 7 Palestinian civilians, including 2 children. Three of them were killed in eastern Malakah intersection in eastern al-Zaytoun neighborhood in eastern Gaza City and were identified as Eyad al-Sha’er (18); Mohammed Shakhsah (24), both from al-Shija’iyah; and Mohammed Haniyah (33) from al-Sheikh Redwan neighborhood. In the central Gaza Strip, Mohammed al-Home (14) and Mohammed al-‘Awawdah (25), both from al-Bureij, were killed in addition to Naser Musabeh (12) from ‘Abasan al-Kabirah and Mohammed Anshasi (18) from Khan Younis refugee camp. Three of those killed were hit with bullets in the heads, 2 were hit with bullets to the chest, 1 in the back and another in the abdomen.
On 03 October 2018, Israeli forces stationed inside the watchtowers at Beit Hanoun “Erez” Crossing, northwest of Beit Hanoun in the northern Gaza Strip, killed Ahmed Abu Jabal (15) from Beit Lahia after being hit with a tear gas canister that penetrated his head front, causing a fracture to the skull and parts of his head got out. The child in question was with dozens of other civilians on the asphalt road leading to the vehicles gate at the crossing when the Israeli forces opened fire and heavily fired tear gas canisters at them.
As part of the ongoing shooting from the eastern borders with Israel at civilians’ houses and property, Ibrahim al-‘Arouqi (74) from al-Maghazi refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip was killed on 01 October 2018 after being hit with a bullet to the back when he was 2000 meters away in the vicinity of the area he lived in, west of the border fence. the Ministry of Health declared in a statement that: “Following the competent authorities’ procedures, it was confirmed that the above-mentioned was wounded in an area near the borders as the competent authorities initiated an investigation to confirm he was wounded by the Israeli forces’ fire.”
As part of targeting Palestinian fishermen in the Gaza Sea, the Israeli forces continued to escalate their attacks against the Palestinian fishermen, pointing out to the ongoing Israeli policy of targeting their livelihoods. During the reporting period, the Israeli forces opened fire 5 times at the fishermen; 2 incidents in the north-western Beit Lahia and 3 others in the Western Soudaniyah area, west of Jabalia in the northern Gaza Strip.
In the West Bank, the Israeli forces during the reporting period wounded 22 Palestinian civilians, including 3 children and 4 journalists; one of those wounded sustained serious wounds.
During the reporting period, Israeli forces conducted at least 62 military incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank and 9 similar ones into Jerusalem and its suburbs. During those incursions, Israeli forces arrested at least 33 Palestinians, including 12 children, in the West Bank. Meanwhile, 24 other civilians, including 6 children, were arrested in Jerusalem and its suburbs.
In the Gaza Strip, on 27 September 2018, Israeli forces moved 100 meters into the southern coastal border fence off Zikim Military Base, northwest of Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip. On the same day, the Israeli forces moved 70 meters into eastern Fokhari village, east of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip.
On 02 October 2018, Israeli forces moved 100 meters into al-Shawkah village in eastern Rafah City in the southern Gaza Strip. The vehicles placed barbed wires, west of the main border fence between the Gaza Strip and Israel.
Israeli Forces continued to create a Jewish Majority in occupied East Jerusalem:
As part of Israeli settlers’ attacks against the Palestinian civilians and their property, on 27 September 2018, 1135 settlers raided al-Aqsa Mosque via al-Magharbah Gate on the Fourth Day of Sukkot “a Jewish holiday.” Eyewitnesses said that the Israeli police attacked Palestinian worshippers in al-Selseleh Gate area by beating and pushing them in addition to arresting a young man and taking him away.
On 30 September 2018, groups of Israeli settlers attacked shops in al-Musrarah neighbourhood and beat the owners under the protection of the Israeli forces, wounding 3 civilians. Eyewitnesses said that the settlers attacked the Palestinian vehicles parked in the neighbourhood and damaged them.
Israeli Forces continued their settlement activities, and the settlers continued their attacks against Palestinian civilians and their property
As part of house and civil object demolitions, on 02 October 2018, the Israeli forces confiscated a barrack from al-Halawah area within the area Masafer Yata, south of Hebron. The barrack is 40 square meters and belongs to Ahmed Abu ‘Aram.