The European Union (EU), Turkey, and the United Kingdom (UK) all criticised in separate statements Israeli plans to build new housing units in illegal settlements in occupied Palestinian territories.
On Wednesday, Israel’s Civil Administration approved construction of 2,100 homes in the West Bank.
“The EU is strongly opposed to Israel’s settlement policy which is illegal under international law and an obstacle to peace,” the EU spokesperson’s office said in a statement.
The EU added that it “will continue to engage with both parties and with its international and regional partners to support a resumption of a meaningful process towards a negotiated two-state solution, the only realistic and viable way to fulfil the legitimate aspirations of both parties.”
The Turkey Foreign Minister said in a statement: “We strongly condemn the approval by Israel to build over 2,000 additional units in the West Bank, which is under Israeli occupation.
The actions taken in disregard of international law and relevant United Nations Resolutions irreparably damage the peace process.”
The British Minister for the Middle East also criticised the plans.“Yesterday’s announcement of plans to construct over 1,000 units on the West Bank, and last week’s tendering for 1,100 more, continues policies that are rightly condemned internationally,” Alistair Burt said in a statement. “The UK echoes this condemnation today.
““Settlements are illegal under international law and remain one of the obstacles to a viable two state solution. I call on Israel to halt such counterproductive action, and for all parties to commit to further efforts to de-escalate current tensions and create the right environment for a just and lasting peace.”