The right wing Israeli Minister of Army, Avigdor Lieberman on Sunday announced that 3,651 settlement units in the West Bank were approved last week, adding that the number of units slated for construction is at its highest since 1992.
Lieberman added says number of settler homes approved for construction within the the first half 2017 are at their highest since 1992.
Of the 3,651 units approved in June , 671 are meant for immediate construction, Lieberman said at the beginning of the weekly cabinet meeting.
“What we’ve approved on June 6 and 7 is the maximum that can be approved,” Lieberman said, snapping at settler leaders who have expressed disappointment at construction rates. Further building would “stretch the rope beyond its limit, and thus put the entire settlement enterprise at risk,” Lieberman said.
Lieberman added that since January 1, Israel has approved the construction of 8,345 settler homes, including 3,066 that are slated for immediate construction. “The numbers for the first half of 2017 are the highest since 1992,”.
Lieberman said “I am aware more than anyone else of the construction needs in the settlements, and I am also well aware of the restrictions and the pressure that come from the international political community,” he said.
“This is why we took action, the prime minister and I, in a transparent and responsible manner.
“There isn’t and there hasn’t been a better government to take care of the Jewish settlement in Judea and Samara and to develop it,” he said.