Amona settlers reject relocation plan

PNN/ Bethlehem/

Israeli media on Wednesday said that the 40 Amona families have rejected an Israeli government plan to be relocated from their houses.

According to the Jpost, the offer, proposed by Israeli Education Minister Naftali Bennett and approved by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, was to “relocate the homes to abandoned Palestinian property on the same hilltop, where the West Bank outpost of Amona is currently located.”

However, the settlers said  the offer was so full of holes it was like “Swiss Cheese” and provided a solution for only a quarter of the families, and that they were prepared for a solution of rebuilding new homes on the same hilltop, and not destroying the current structures until the new ones had been completed.

The controversy over Ammona started in 2014 when the Israeli High Court of Justice had  ruled that the outpost must be demolished by December 25, 2016 because they were built without permits on private Palestinian property.

 

Israeli settlements are illegal in international law.