Israeli occupation forces (IOF) scovered a tunnel inside the 48 territories -Israel- coming out of the southern Gaza Strip just over a week ago, the IOF revealed on Monday morning.
The tunnel has since been “neutralized,” an IOF spokesperson said, but would not elaborate on whether it was destroyed or merely sealed off.
According to the Israeli media, its exact location is still being under wraps by the IOF censor, though it does not appear that the tunnel led directly into any of the Israeli settlements near the fence with the Gaza Strip.
The tunnel is 30 meters deep, and was likely dug after the 2014 Israeli attack on the Gaza Strip, according to IOF assessments, though this has not been fully verified.
“The discovery of this tunnel in recent days is the result of ongoing work,” Israeli head of the Southern Command Maj. Gen. Eyal Zamir said in a statement.
“The IDF will continue to use all of the tools at our disposal above and below ground to thwart any attempt to harm the people of the State of Israel or IDF soldiers.”
Though the tunnel had been found just over one week ago, news of its discovery was forbidden from publication by the IOF military censor.
The IOF stated that Hasmas is responsible for the this tunnel’s construction and maintains it was dug “in order to carry out attacks against Israelis,” an IOF spokesperson said, though he would not discuss what specific intelligence led to that finding.
Following the IOF operation, Hamas vowed to continue using tunnels and rockets to defende the Gaza Strip.
Speaking at a rally in the Gaza Strip last week, Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh told residents: “Our message to the prisoners is a message inked in blood. The rifle and the tunnel are our commitment.”
This tunnel is it the first to be discovered inside 48 territories – Israel – since the end of the Israeli attack in the Gaza Strip in the summer of 2014.
During that attack, the so called “Operation Protective Edge,” at least 34 tunnels were discovered and destroyed by the IOF.