70 days into strike: Al-Qiq loses 60% of hearning sense

PNN/ Bethlehem/

According to a statement by the Palestinian Prisoner Society (PPS), the Palestinian journalist and administrative prisoner, has lost his ability to speak and 60% of his hearing sense, 70 days into his hunger strike.

Head of the detainees and ex-detainees committee, Ashraf Abu Sneineh on 25 January said that the health of  Al-Qiq was deteriorating on a fast pace, saying that he lost conscious back then. Abu Sneineh also confirmed the need for immediate action to release him.

Last week as well, experts  pointed out unprecedented  fears that Al-Qiq might pass away in such conditions.

Al-Qiq, journalist for the Saudi channel Al Majd, has also been diagnosed with excruciating pains all over his body.

On the 47th day of his hunger strike he was forcefed, especially that he rejected taking any vitamins or undergoing medical checks.

According to PIC, PPS said the Israeli supreme court set up a date for a hearing on February 4 at 3.30 p.m. to finalize its decision on his case.

Al-Qiq was arrested on 21 November 2015 when Israeli soldiers blew up the front door of his house and took him in for interrogation at Israel’s Kishon (Jalame) detention center. And so, his hunger-strike, that was started on 24 November 2015, came as a protest against administrative detention in Israeli prisons for six months without any charges or court.

The detention period can also be endlessly renewed every six months.

Last Tuesday, PLO Executive Committee Member Dr. Hanan Ashrawi called on the Israeli authorities to immediately and unconditionally release  him. On Thursday as well, the Palestinian Prime Minister Dr. Rami Hamdallah held the Israeli government responsible for his life.