Israel rejects New Zealand draft resolution to the Security Council to re-launch negotiations

Bethlehem/PNN/

Israel has expressed opposition in recent days to the draft resolution New Zealand is advancing in the UN Security Council with the aim of restarting the negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians.

According a senior official in Jerusalem , the head of the Foreign Ministry’s Division for the UN and International Organizations, Aharon Leshno-Yaar, called New Zealand’s ambassador to Israel, Jonathan Curr, earlier this week, and made clear that Israel does not condone the Security Council’s dealing with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, especially at this time, amid a wave of terrorism.

The resolution New Zealand is preparing calls on Israel to freeze construction and home demolitions in the West Bank, and urges the Palestinians to desist from taking steps against Israel at the International Criminal Court in The Hague, as part of a series of confidence-building steps ahead of a hoped-for resumption of peace talks.

A few months ago, during his visit to Jerusalem, New Zealand’s Foreign Minister Murray McCully told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu about his intention to introduce the draft resolution.

McCully told Netanyahu that the draft won’t deal with a solution to the conflict, but will call for the resumption of the peace talks. Netanyahu did not reject the idea at the time.

The draft resolution, which was distributed among the 14 members of the UN Security Council on Friday, was first reported on by Haaretz on Wednesday.