Ten Palestinians were wounded by Israeli fire in the West Bank on Saturday during a raid by troops while combing the area for attackers who shot dead a settler couple, Palestinian police and medical sources said.
The Palestinian Red Crescent said that “ten people were wounded by live rounds to the legs or stomach,” and “four others were wounded in beatings” by security forces, AFP reported.
AFP added that Palestinians protesting against the raid in the territory’s main northern city of Nablus hurled stones at soldiers, who responded with rubber bullets, tear gas and live ammunition, the sources said.
Hundreds of Israeli troops were searching for suspected Palestinian gunmen on Friday, after the killing of a settler couple between the illegal Israeli settlements of Itamar and Elon Moreh, near Nablus, in the northern West Bank, on Thursday evening.
The Beit Furik military checkpoint north of the town was closed in both directions almost all night, with Palestinians trapped, prohibited from leaving or going back to their homes.
Dozens of settlers protested at the Zatara checkpoint in southern Nablus chanting “Death to Arabs” and calling for a response to the killing of the two settlers, as Israeli armed forces were stationed nearby.
The settlers also threw rocks at Palestinian vehicles in southern Nablus, witnesses said.
A Palestinian car was set on fire near Ramallah and price-tag graffiti was sprayed on a nearby wall, while hundreds of settlers attempted to raid villages in the Nablus area and threw rocks at Palestinian cars, damaging at least 15, including an ambulance.
Israeli minister of army Moshe Yaalon, who visited the attack site on Friday, said the army and security forces had been deployed “to place hands on the murderers.”
Israeli security forces were conducting an “intensive search” on the ground combined with intelligence efforts, said army spokesman Arye Shalicar.
The circumstances surrounding Thursday’s attack remain unclear. A group purportedly linked to the Palestinian Fateh movement — the Abdel Qader al-Husseini Brigades — claimed responsibility, but this could not be immediately verified, IMEMC said.
Eitam and Naama Henkin, both in their 30s, were killed while driving on Thursday night between the illegal settlements of Itamar and Elon More.
Their four children, aged between four months and nine years, were found unharmed in the back of the car.